Thursday, June 21, 2012

Affect Displays in chapter 5

A topic that I found interesting in chapter 5 was affect displays. Affect displays is the presentation of feelings and emotions through nonverbal communication. Affect displays are expressed though facial expressions of body movements. Frowning may be a sign of sadness or dissatisfaction whereas a big grin may mean a sign of happiness and joy. I am the type of person that is very expressive. There have been so many times that people have told me that I look upset or sad just by the look on my face. Sometimes my face will just naturally look upset, even when I am not, but there are other times when there is no denying that I am upset. There are also times when I unintentionally make a face, when I am trying not to. I remember distinctly a time that my aunt had made dinner and when I went to taste it, I felt myself instantly make a face. It wasn’t because I didn’t like but more so because it was so spicy. Thankfully she didn’t not see my reaction, but that is just one of the many examples affect displays are expressed.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jaxfavy!
    I enjoyed reading your post on affect displays and found very similar qualities we share. I too am a very expressive person and my face along with body language says a lot about how I'm feeling. Unaware of these affect displays can be harmful but having awareness of others affect displays can be very helpful.
    Since these affect displays create such a genuine reaction, we cannot control every emotion that comes across our face. I liked your example of the spicy food! It's a perfect representation of affect display in the moment and could have been harmful to your aunt's feelings. Other circumstances affect displays can be beneficial, showing affection for another person and feeding off each others body language and expression can strengthen a relationship or create a lasting bond between two people.
    I think you did a great job developing this concept, thanks for the post!

    Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jaxfavy,
    I know what you mean about making faces unintentionally. I dont know if i do it, but i have a couple of friends that have gotten some criticism, about the mean look they have on their faces. They both have said that they dont intentionally make "mean" faces, and it surprises them when people say things to them about their expression.
    Facial expressions say alot, and its one of the reasons I prefer visiting my friends, rather than talking on the phone or via email. Facial expressions can add a tone to a comment that might seem negative, but if people are smiling while they are saying it, it would be interpreted differently. Thanks for the post!
    -Lars

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand where you are coming from. I know that I am very expressive. I know I make faces depending on my mood. I make faces when people say something that I think is bizarre. I make faces when I think something tastes nasty or even when I'm about to laugh. My facial expressions says a lot about how I'm feeling at the moment. I also like to see other people's facial expressions,for the same reason why I do facial expressions;you can tell how they are feeling at the moment by their facial expression.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jaxfavy,
    Like those others who commented on your post, I can also relate to your habit of expressing how you feel by your facial expressions. Though I wouldn’t call myself very expressive, my emotions and attitude towards something can be revealed through my facial gestures. As a child, I was very expressive and often had a frown on my face. As a result, today people assume that I’m angry as a result of a sort of frown I consistently wear on my face despite the fact that I am not feeling any certain way. I have been working on having a more friendly expression on my face despite my emotions. Overall, I enjoyed reading your post seeing that I could relate to it, in addition to the thorough description and examples used to support your claim. Great Job.
    -g23

    ReplyDelete