Friday, June 29, 2012

Creatures of our own culture

I believe in Ruth Benedict’s statement that we are creatures of our own culture to a certain extent. I believe that our culture shapes who we are and is a big part of our environment but only while we are growing up. One big example that I have is of my mom’s brother. My uncle was born in Mexico along with my mom, and when they were about 3 and 5 years old, they came to the United States. My grandparents raised them both with very Mexican customs and as they were growing up, both he and my mom were very much creatures of their own culture. As my uncle became a young adult, he started straying away from his culture and by the time he was married with kids, he had fully adapted to the American culture. His children do not really speak Spanish and they cannot identify with the Mexican culture. This is why I believe that at one point or another we are all creatures of our own culture, however, once we are old enough to make our own decisions, we choose whether we want to live our lives as “creatures of our own culture” or not.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jaxfavy!
    I too agree that we are creatures of our own culture to an extent. We learn culture through our environment and experiences but I don't believe we conform to them or never branch out and experience other cultures. Your family is a great example and I think it's very common for people to do that. I don't believe changing your culture or adopting a new one is by any means a bad thing. I think it's adventurous and important to see things from another point of view and understand where other people are coming from. The world would be a much crueler place if people didn't reach out to one another.
    I don't want to be close minded, I feel like the people that are are incredibly ignorant and missing out on life. There are so many great people and new ideas and things to learn; I wouldn't want to miss out on that!

    Great job!
    Hope you're having an awesome weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you brought the story of your uncle into the post. That is the perfect example of how cultures shape who you are as a person. I believe that, no matter how you are raised in the home, out side influences will be stronger, just because they are not what you are used to. It's like the "grass is greener on the other side" type of thing. I know people hold the cultures they grew up with close to heart, but the outside, more predominate culutre, will grow to be the main culture in which they believe in, as see with your uncle. Good post again. I'll read more next week! Good job. Have a nice night.

    ReplyDelete