Saturday, June 16, 2012

Concept from Chapter 10


One concept that I found interesting in chapter 10 was extemporaneous speaking style. This type speech is often defined as a speech that is preplanned but should be more conversational rather than reading from note cards or an outline. For me, this has been the most difficult speeches I have had to do.  Personally, I think that I can communicate quite well. I am able to carry on an intellectual conversation and not feel nervous or sound like I have no idea what I am talking about. When I give speeches, however, it is a little harder to be more relaxed and not as nervous. I specifically remember a time in eighth grade when my teacher, Ms. Capra made the class write and deliver an extemporaneous speech about anything we wanted that we would teach something to the class. I remember going up in from of the class and giving a speech on how to make chocolate brownie walnut cupcakes. Although I have made these cupcakes several times and have explained the process to people in my family, for some reason I could not concentrate and forgot some steps, forcing me to read the forgotten steps from the note card , thus not speaking extemporaneously. I can remember I was so embarrassed and I felt beet red. At that time, I could not understand why it is that she was making us give these types of speeches. It was not until college that I was faced with the dreadful extemporaneous speeches again and although I was still nervous, I now knew how important it was to speak extemporaneously and eloquently, especially when giving a speech for people that could possibly be my next employer. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I thought I was the only one who felt that this type of speech was extremely complicated. Similar to you, I also had a bad experience giving an extemporaneous speech. When I was at a camp we were asked to give a speech pertaining to a certain topic. When I gave my speech, I was extremely nervous and basically choked. Due to unwarranted confidence prior to the speech, I wasn't fortunate to revert back to a notecard. This was by far one of the worse experiences of my life. As I have grown and matured I also have progressed when giving extemporaneous speeches. My Comm 20 professor asked us to give one my freshmen year and I nailed it. I learned that the key to giving speeches is confidence and relaxation. As I got older I became more confident with more experience when giving speeches and through thorough preparation I am able to relax and give speeches more effectively. Overall, I love your topic and how you showed good and bad experiences with this type of speech.

    ReplyDelete