I think that each one of us have our “own world” merged into one big world. If we think about every culture in the world, not any one is the same. We build worlds through communication by the things that we learn and the way we are spoken to when growing up. For example, I am full blooded Mexican. I speak and write Spanish fluently. My friend is also Mexican and speaks Spanish and writes it fluently as well, but our styles of communication are very different. Even some customs that she has are very different than mine. We may both be Mexican, but we have two very different worlds. Another prime example is one of my aunts. Ever since I was little, she would rub Vicks vapor rub on the bottom of my feet whenever I got sick. Once I moved always to college and did the same exact thing, my dorm roommate looked at me as if I was crazy. This was so natural to me because I grew around it. This was part of my “own world”. I think the fact that we all have different worlds is great because we are able to learn different things about different cultures and we can see that each culture is so different from our own. I think that people who are able to identify with their culture can provide others with traditions that they have grown up with and vice –versa.
Hi Jaxfavy,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you brought your own exprience into your post. I'm part mexican and part irish, but only grew up with my dad, who is mexican. My friend is also mexican, but she always yells at me because her family is from Houndrus, not mexico, and our families have very different view points as well as religion and cultural beliefs. I never really understood her point of view because I thought we were both "mexican," but as it turns out, we live on two seperate worlds. Though we are both extremely family oriented, her mother is very conservate, like the women in her culture and home town, believes that women need to be submissive and not speak their minds. Whereas my father is more liberal, because he was raised to speak his mind and work for a better living, past on those traits to me (honestly, you cannot get me to NOT speak my mind).
I too think that having a different perspective is a good thing. We need others to view the world differently in order to progress it in a postive way.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you 100 percent. Just like Miss B., I like how you brought your own experience into your post. Everybody was raised in a different way and it is very interesting learning to do something differently than what you are use to doing. My family is from Louisiana and we do things differently from people in California. I grew up listening to this style of music called Cajun/Zydeco and I have a best friend from Nigeria who grew up listening to Nigerian music. We both didn't really like each other music taste at first, but eventually we learned to love it. Having a different perspective is a good thing.
ReplyDeleteHey Jax Landing,
ReplyDeleteI'm half-Greek, and seemingly grew up in a similar situation. Our personal cultural environment (which clearly deviates from family to family, based on history, culture, ethnicity, etc) is truly made up by our own experiences, which in turn influence the way we perceive ourselves, our culture, and our "own world".
I recently attended a Greek festival in San Jose, and it was amazing to see how many different types of people and family units have sprung out of a similar background. I found such diversity even within this cultural European sub-group.
All in all, I really enjoyed your post!