Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Cyber Relationships


I can’t say that have formed friendships that exist exclusively on cyberspace. I think the closest friendship that I have had in cyberspace was with one of my cousins’ friends. I had met him before at her house but I never really had a conversation with him, just kind of a hi and bye type of thing. One day I get a friend request and I thought to myself, what’s the worst that can happen it’s not like he is a complete stranger. Well, in a sense he wasn’t a complete stranger, I just didn’t know him as well as other friends. I received a message and we started chatting. It wasn’t a big deal to me but for him apparently it was. His chats began to pop up a little more frequently and each time he revealed something else about himself. We actually became good friends. I saw him only once in a blue moon, but very very rarely. So one day I get to my cousins and he was there. It was probably the most awkward moment of my life; I greeted him like I would greet any other friend, but he acted like he didn’t know me. He just ended up being all-around weird, so I decided our “cyber friendship” had to end.

Although my case was mostly cyber, even though we had had f2f contact, I think that some people feel more comfortable chatting and getting to know others without having to physically interact with them. I think that it is hard to interpret peoples real feelings and emotions because we can only read what people are saying and we can’t hear the sound of their voice, or the tone in which they are saying things.

1 comment:

  1. HI!
    I know what you mean about being friends with someone you kind of know online and then when you see them in real life its awkward! I think that sometimes when you talk to some one online you kind of dream up a person to go along with the personality of the conversations you have. Although you may have met them before, its like the memory kind of fades and they change in your mind. Then you finally see them again and its like wait who are you?! You made a great point about some feeling more comfortable chatting online, they feel less self conscious.

    ReplyDelete