Saturday, July 21, 2012

Upward Communication


A concept that I found interesting in chapter 8 was upward communication. Upward communication is “when a message travels from the bottom of the chart toward the top (records clerk to operations director. I found this was very interesting because, for the most part, most organizations have downward communication; the director sends orders or a memo to the clerk and they have to comply. I can relate to downward communication because my first job, we had to do what was told when it was asked and we never had much say. The job I work for currently is more focused on upward communication. Whenever I have had a problem or something that I couldn’t figure out, I have the ability to go to the department director and speak to him. I find that upward communication is very effecting because it shows that employees can confide in their superior and ask questions with out feeling less. I think it is also very important because it make employees feel like they have a say and their voice can be heard. I believe that in order to have a successful company, one should always focus on upward communication. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jaxfavy,

    I totally know what you mean in relation to the feeling of "not being heard" within the workplace. Downward communication is essential for order, but I believe long-term productivity is essentially sustained by upward communication. Without fostering a respectful environment in which workers feel like they are heard and cared for, it's difficult to keep workers motivated. I also found it interesting that your work environment is more focused on upward comm. You noted, "whenever I have had a problem or something that I couldn’t figure out, I have the ability to go to the department director and speak to him." It's great to hear that you had an avenue for getting your thoughts to your higher-ups in a manner you were comfortable with. Overall, I think that this type of format is probably one that with foster long-term employees.

    Great Post.
    -Tyrone Q

    ReplyDelete