One concept that I thought we could have touched more on is
cultural universals. According to our book, cultural universals are defined as,
the variety of interconnected activities that are found in virtually every
culture and are common to all people who live together in social groups. Some
of these could consist of: Age grading, athletics, courtship, etc. I thought
that we could have gone into a little more detail with this concept because I
think it is great to learn about other cultures. I think that there could have
been more examples regarding cultural universals and maybe have gone into a
little more detail. To me, cultural universals also seem like concepts that
could also be used in different research, possibly to get a bit more insight on
different cultures and the activities that they use in their day-to-day life. I
also think that it is important that we all learn about cultural universals
because regardless of what cultural you are, these activities are common,
however, they vary from culture to culture. Being more in-tune with these
activities would also help us communicate with others and learn to respect
their customs.
I agree. I feel as if the book should have gone into more depth, and compared different groups of people, of all different age ranges, throughout the world. I think when we say "terrible twos" everyone knows what that means, no matter what culture you are in. Same with teenagers. It doesn't matter what culture, but teenagers will be teenagers. I think would have also been nice to show the other countries saying like ours. "boys will be boys" I'm sure resonates with the rest of the world, but showing that we are more similar than different would have eye-opening to see. Very nice post. I hope the rest of your summer goes well. Nice getting to know you.
ReplyDelete