The concept I found interesting in the book was effort optimism. This is defined as the
belief that hard work will pay off. I feel as though I practice this in my
everyday life. I think that it is important to work hard for what you want and
as long as you work hard good things will come to you. The book also states
that “people in other countries may ‘expect to be rewarded on the basis of the
social position of their family or clan’ rather than their own efforts.” I also
believe this to be true. I have family in Mexico and some of them good hard,
but I feel that in a sense, they want to be rewarded for their doings. Whether
it be the family holding them in a “higher status” in the family or other types
of recognition, they want to be rewarded. I think that it is more important to
please oneself and work hard in order for good things to come your way.
Loved that you shared this idea again with the class! It is so interesting to note the differences between belief systems of not only cultures, but groups such as families that set such cultural standards as effort optimism. I was definitely raised with the same idea; that you work hard to get where you want, and work harder when nobody’s looking just because it’s the right thing to do. With technology and social media as rampant in everyday life as it is, the need to attention and recognition over every little thing, from a funny text, or cute picture, has, I feel, left our society a little askew on what’s important. The idea that you are responsible for your own success, and that through hard work and dedication you can attain that, with or without recognition, is a true virtue that will never get old in my book. It’s great to see others appreciate this mentality as well!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing!