The characteristics that have lead me to judge others as unattractive
have not so much been physical characteristics rather than personality and the
quality of person that they are. The characteristics I value in a person are
honesty, trustworthiness and loyalty. Unattractive characteristics that lead me
to judge people are laziness, people that are disrespectful, and people who do
not value themselves as a person. I think that this is very important because
if I am with someone who cannot value themselves as a person, when would make
me think that they would value me?
I agree completely with Ducks theory. I think that we as humans use
various filters until we find someone that we think are perfect for us. I would
be lying if I said I had not eliminated someone due to a pre-interaction cue.
When I met my first boyfriend, I automatically eliminated him because in my
eyes, he was not as attractive as I would have like. I thought he seemed a
little arrogant and self-centered. Once I got to know him, he was completely
the opposite. This is where the cognitive cues kicked it. I reconsidered him as
a potential partner because we actually ended up having a very similar attitude
and share practically all of the same values. At the beginning I was only
basing him off of pre-interaction cues but once I got to know him, the
cognitive cue stood out more than the pre-interaction cues.
Hi Jaxfavy,
ReplyDeleteI agree with your expressions on what you consider attractive and unattractive characteristics. Disrespect and a lack of self-esteem are a huge turn off in my eyes as well. I also like your example about your boyfriend. Sometimes we don’t really see the real person until we come across them various times. As a man, I know that on first impressions we try and act different then we actually are in hopes to impress the women. However, after various interactions we realize that being ourselves is the best bet. Overall, I felt that this was a great post with great examples.
Great Job
-g23