One concept that I found interesting in chapter 7 was group synergy. According to our book
“group synergy is the idea that groups are often more effective than the best
individuals within them.” Through group synergy you can gather information and
find out different interpretations of the same concept with the members of your
group. I once took a communication class and we had to form different groups
for each presentation and I thought it was a good experience. Through our group
we were able to motivate each other and spark off of each other’s ideas. Group
synergy is especially effective within groups because it allows group members
to work together in a team, support and motivate each other, and help each
other understand a concept from a different perspective. From my experience, I
was able to work together, as I would be in a job setting, and find strategies and
we also feed off of other group members energy and if they are enthusiastic
about the project or presentation then it will rub off on us and we will also
be enthusiastic about it.
Hi Jaxfavy,
ReplyDeleteI find this concept to be really interesting -mainly because I'm not sure if I agree with it entirely. In my own experience, even qualified groups simply slow down the progress of a driven individual. While more may get done within a group setting, I believe the quality of the work decreases with more members. The socialization brought down the group's overall focus and resulted in a "par" performance- which may have been far better if the A-grade individuals had simply worked separately. In this sense, I haven't truly seen group synergy function properly within a workplace or a group setting.
-Tyrone Q
I agree with this concept to a certain extent. Yes in most cases group synergy is extremely effective and useful, but that all depends on the kind of people that is in the group. If everybody is motivated and want to do well on the assignment, then yes group synergy works. But if there are people in the group who is just free riding or not participating, or simply does not do their part in the group, then the group synergy concept is irrlevant. I personally like working in groups,but sometimes I like working on an assignment by myself. It just depends on the assignment.
ReplyDelete